Cheatham Memorial UMC has an incredible heritage, dated back to 135 years ago. The church was established as soon as Edgewood city was formed in 1878. It is the first church in Edgewood.
The evolution of the church – in the context of historical, civic, and cultural change – direct its fellowship, services, and ministries to the current state. Its struggles and development keep evolving, from the era of the Old Dallas-Shreveport Road, through the World Wars and great depression time, to the current issues.
“A Legacy of Faith” was published by the church in 2014 as the 135th anniversary commemorative book. The history of the church is traced through 200 images including historical and new photographs, timelines, illustrations, works of art, building plans, and artifacts. The written and pictorial works were contributed by many church members whose names are chronicled throughout the book. Read more about the book at the Resources page.